Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The pup is stylin' now!

Few things in this world make me as happy as making something that is pleasing to the eye AND functional.
My latest project has met both these criteria and I'm extremely happy with the turnout. 
What is this latest project? A new harness for Appa :). 
Her trainer had brought one of these to a session and it fit her perfectly and unlike other mesh harnesses I've seen it didn't have a lining in it so it wasn't hot (she has enough problems with being hot in El Paso as is). I guess you could say I've been on a quest to find the perfect harness. It's pretty hard to outfit a corgi with one, turns out. Their chests are broad and their legs are short, bodies long. Most of them just don't work well. What I liked about this one other than it being cool was that it doesn't pull at the neck at all and it doesn't slide around the body, ending up with the d-ring on the bottom/leash on the side, etc. Anyway, when I went to buy one from the website what stopped me was the $30 price tag (not bad for a good harness but..when you're trying to pinch pennies...well ya know) and the fact that they had no colors I liked. 

So what do I do? Put on my creative cap and say to myself "Hm...I'm pretty sure I can make that." 

I wouldn't say it was complicated so much as time consuming. And maybe part of that was figuring out the how-to of it. At any rate, I plan to make a tutorial for this. I ended up paying $8 (and that was for a yard of the athletic performance fabric--aka sports jersey fabric--and I have a ton left over). Beats $30 and it's a custom fit. 

And yes...it matches the collar I made her--she's oh-so-stylish ;). 


The super great thing is--she's not afraid of it! For whatever reason she freaks out majorly with step-in harnesses, which have worked...eh, ok...for her. This one--she doesn't run away from me/i don't have to chase her down...good stuff all around. Gonna go try it out right now and do some training.

Tutorial soon!

2 comments:

  1. I love the harness Leah. Sounds like an affordable option. This would be a great project for my Penelope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely! The only thing I'm having some trouble with is the chest part/fastening. The velcro didn't work, I got some "industrial strength" velcro but...it seems like it means more the adhesive on the back than the actual velcro. Another trial run tomorrow and once I get it all right I'll post some instructions. :)

    ReplyDelete